Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Monday, August 14, 2006

All right this is just a note to get the ball rolling. I was going to leave this until another day, like tomorrow, when I'm not so tired, but then I've put this off long enough already.

I have my ticket for Edinburgh booked (an early morning taxi on Wednesday is required) and tickets for some movies in the Film Festival were bought tonight. (I'll finally get to see "Scarecrow"!) Have the hotel and everything! All I have to do now is plan on how I leave the place on the 22nd. Spain or Portugal? It's just a cheap flight I need to get me to the Continent and in a place where I can Interrail (apparently i can't use the ticket to travel to London as I'd hoped). I'll decide tomorrow. Have to get the Interrail ticket too.

Anyhow today I saw "Lady in the Water" and "Nacho Libre". Not in the humour to critique either right now (this really was a bad time to start writing!), but suffice to say that the critics seem to be making up for all their previous kindness to Shyamalan with long overdue scorn. Sadly his movie, strewn with problems though it is, really isn't all that bad. Shyamalan is an ideas man; he extrapolates a concept into a self contained puzzle that gets nicely resolved in the end (with some 'surprise' twists to stop the audience noticing the simplicity of the approach, in this case the true mythic characters being discovered almost too late). His movies rise or fall on the strength of his concepts and they're usually pretty weak. And so it proves this time. However, he's lucky to have Giamatti (making a stock character into a person), and overall the story is no less contrived than anything else he's done, with the added benefit that he's also looking at the nature of story. Anyhow I don't want to get into it now, because I AM TIRED!

I'm also reading Salinger's "Franny and Zooey". I definitely want to write about that at some stage. (Would have liked to read some more of it right now.) Only halfway through, but really good stuff.

Anyhow 'tis now1.11 a.m. Monday, so good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home