Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, John!

Coincidence time: for no real reason I was discussing John Huston today with Brian as he wheeled his three month old daughter (actually Brian was recording 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre', that's what brought the topic up) . One major gripe I have with the auteur theory is that it can exclude a great director like Huston because his movies are not similar enough. Surely that is a mark of a great director (and please spare me the metteur en scene shite). Anyhow that was the gist of my diatribe. When I got home I happened to go on to IMDB for other reasons and saw Mr Huston on the front page, today being his birthday (though he died in 1987). I could go 6 months on end without Huston popping into my life (well, okay, the film school named after him in Galway recently turned my job app away, but then I don't have a PhD).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home