Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

7.45 and all's well

Back in Berlin. It was a long journey getting here, but I'm right back in the good old Hauptbahnhof!

As I sat at the T-bahn station in Oslo, staring at the Transylvannian sign, it suddenly struck me why there was a sign to the TV Tower. You could climb to the top and view Oslo! I should have guessed earlier, it faced me every time I walked from the hotel, and the views from on top could only be amazing. It tantalised me and I let one train go with the intention of taking a quick stroll up to see the sight, but another sign said 15 minutes walk and I didn't want to risk missing any train; it was all very tight, these next three trains (to Gothenburg, Malmo, then Berlin). I let it pass, but I gave too little time to Oslo and I should come back. There were other beautiful walks to be made in the vicinity of my hotel (besides the beautiful one from the hotel to the station, oh and the one back). Oslo was never to blame; I came with preconceptions and prejudices, and the fact is it is a stunning city with some hidden treasures well worth seeking out.

Getting to Central Station in plenty of time, I easily caught my train. Making some sandwiches from some kind of processed meat and rolls, I had a makedo lunch and settled down to listen to the entire Beethoven Symphony cycle. It's not quite right to make a small project out of such masterworks, but I thought it would be interesting to play them back to back, and I did have the time. Dozing here and there I made it with a half hour to spare.

The train to Gothenburg had been delayed though, and I have had some trouble with my phone I had to sort out, so by the time the girl at the sandwich counter said it would take four minutes, I didn't have four minutes to spare. I raced on to the train without food or drink. In Malmo I managed to grab a burger (hate fastfood chains), but I was running on empty.

The couchette thing nearly worked again! Dozed off and had crazy dreams of drinking water, mostly because I went to sleep dreaming of drinking water in the first place. It was sweltering and I had no drink with me. Because the train stopped as it floated across on the ferry, the air conditioning was off too. It was a mild form of Heaven when the wheels turned once more and some air (however cool) began to circulate again. Strangely there was no passport or even ticket check! Must have been brushing my teeth when that happened.

And so here I am! The monster has been left in LEFT LUGGAGE (what a divine concept!), I have had a doughnut, coffee and large smoothie (quench the thirst and get the vitamin C), and all I have to do is waste an hour or two before I check into the hostel. Where better to do that than Berlin.

1 Comments:

At 9:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheers for the link Niall! I am missing the pictures, it helps the less literate amongst us!!!! a week to go. Nigel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home