Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Friday, May 25, 2007

The Lives of Others

Given my earlier rant dealing in part with insane ideological systems and lost ideals, it was wholly appropriate that soon after writing I went to see 'The Lives of Others' (Das Leben der Anderen). Excellent movie, excellently performed (Ulrich Muhe is wonderful, but then everyone in it is pitch perfect). It brought back many vivid memories of my Berlin trip to the Stasi prison (thanks Phil). What an insane regime! As the film astutely says of the Stasi, their aim was 'to know everything'.

It could be argued that the movie went on a little longer than it should have; the final event of the 1984 (they even got the year right!) storyline would have been a powerful point at which to end. However, I don't think any viewer with half a heart would forgive the few jumps at the end. Great stuff. And to think it was director, Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's first feature (and he wrote it)!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite German film Niall. Von Donnersmarck studied in Oxford and wrote the movie over, I think 2 years in a Monastery in Austria, in which his uncle is a monk. His uncle was basically the CEO (or CFO) of some massive soft drinks company here in DE and he, as the Germans say "stepped out" i.e. opted or dropped out of life and became a monk, I think back in the 60's. He was interviewed by one of the radio stations here and the 90min interview was listened to whilst running. Without my iPod I am nothing ... back to the Film though: brilliant and right up my street. Phil.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home