Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Healing Cup

Well, I've gotten over the stomach bug, but did little today anyhow.

I read a little about the use of myth in 'The Natural'. Apparently the novel uses the Sir Perceval story, originally the knight who finds, loses and finds again the Holy Grail, healing the ailing Fisher King. A novel should stand or fall on its own merits, regardless of its use of reference, but 'The Natural' does that. It's excellent, just very depressing. I was angry for quite a while after finishing, my lot for a lot of books this past year.

With the end of the year nearly upon us, I've been thinking of listing off what's been read etc.. Then again with so much drink ahead of me, will I have any brain left for such work?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home