Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is All Publicity Good Publicity?

As the 'legitmate' rival of 'illegitimate' Ryanair, I would not necessarily look with disdain on an Aer Lingus sale. However, I got a spam mail about special offers today and felt an immediate sense of recoil. Analysing my feeling I found the reason to be obvious enough; the recent fiasco with the so-called five euro seats was still fresh in my mind. Is it just me? I get the feeling Aer Lingus have done themselves a lot more harm than they realise with their behaviour over that stunt. I didn't go to their site.

2 Comments:

At 9:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Niall,
On a recent trip to Boston I bought two books in Dublin Airport.
The first was Michael O'Leary's autobiography - haven't read this yet, but like RyanAir or loathe them, he has changed the face of air travel in Europe and opened it up to the masses. I'd rather be paying a fiver plus 20 taxes for a trip to Co Paris or wherever than the 500 we'd probably be paying if they weren't around.

The second book was called RuinAir by Paul Kilduff - it's a hilarious Micky (O'Leary) take - buy it, it's advertised at just 0.01c (oh....plus fees and charges of €12.98)

Best
Barry @
IrishDev.com

 
At 9:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely think that you have to force yourself to have good PR (obviously, unlike Ryanair, your product has to be good). I think you can shape your message by getting a professional firm to put out your positioning, but I'm curious about places that only charge based on articles placed, like Publicity Guaranteed...any thoughts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home