Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Monday, August 28, 2006

Isn't it true though, you never see what's on your own doorstep, or in this case, just a few doors away from the hotel? There was I griping about food and this very local (4 doors away), very good restaurant was right under my nose all along. I had always presumed it was a little expensive and truth be told it is a little, but they had a lunch deal on that looked appetising. My starter was mussels in a cream and fennel sauce with celery and onions, then cod, courgettes and tomato (the latter chopped very fine) wrapped and fried lightly in very thin filo pastry. (I would have taken some pictures, but, regardless of the food, I don't think that would have gone down too well.) The tiramisu with strawberries was more like a trifle, but beautiful nonetheless (real creamy). Unfortunately I ordered the dessert without realising it wasn't part of the lunch, so things added up unexpectedly. What was meant to be my lunch became my dinner. But it was really good food.

I headed off to La Defense; interesting buildings, but I was only briefly tempted to go up in the clear glass elevators for a view of the city. Besides it was raining. I stopped off at the Louvre while travelling back on the Number One line. My trusty Rough Guide (which admittedly is an old edition) claimed the Richelieu Wing was open until 9.45, but all the signs seem to indicate the museum was closed at 6. I asked a guide at the ticket machine. She confirmed that closing time was 6, but the machine "takes credit cards". It can take cocaine for all I care, I wasn't going into the Louvre for and hour and a half and I hope my face said as much.

On my way back I noticed another gem near my hotel. Just off La Republique there was a shop that would probably be similar to our Spar. The difference of course is that what is a luxury for us is commonplace for the French. I picked up my tea, a baguette, parma ham, a round of blue cheese and orange juice all for around a fiver. C'est magnifique!

All in all, and for all that it can get up one's nose sometimes (or maybe because of that), I think Paris is one place I could live in. A very wonderful city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home