Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Geckoboy!

The gig last night, part of the Hard Working Class Heroes Festival, featured a friend of mine, Nigel Place, and he did the business as they say (great too was Emma Jane on backing vocals). A good 30 minute set.

Pravda was only one of the venues, however, and besides the music most of the other venues had one thing in common; they sold beer. Beer and Niall sometimes make a strange combination, and so it was last night. After Pravda we headed to the Music Centre to see Brian Brannigan's band, Lazarus Soul. Brian sings the best version of the American Music Club's "I've been a Mess" that I've ever heard, though I must admit that besides his I've only ever heard the American Music Club's own version. Evidently this song has affected him deeply featuring, as it does, Lazarus (hence Lazarus Soul, his band, and another song of his). Anyhow they got the times wrong and instead of 10, he wasn't on until 11, so I kept up my drinking antics.

Also playing were Star Belgrade, though who they were playing was not revealed (definitely not much room on that stage for any sort of match). Very 80's to my ear,with just a hint of Depeche Mode and the subtle aroma of hollyhocks.

Emma Jane mentioned how hot it was, but I had to beg to differ, being as I am a very cold-blooded character. This naturally led to my riffing on the cold-blooded theme and reinventing myself as Geckoboy! Yes, you really did need to be there. Climbing up walls and regrowing my severed arm were just some of the powers I claimed. Funnily enough unprompted we came up with the genesis to Spiderman's arch-enemy the Lizard. Yes, you REALLY needed to be there! Just as well I didn't introduce Bill Hicks's Goatboy, though my sterling impression of Michael Jackass did get an airing.

As it happened Lazarus Soul were a little too serious to really hold our attention and Nigel's producer, Len, had to nip out to see Peaches (who apparently was "Pants!"), another act playing nearby. It didn't help that the sound wasn't the best. There is definitely talent there, but a little lightening of tone might help. Anyhow Sambucas were had which just fueled my crazed shenanigans. The city was lucky that I left for home and brie and toast (hmmm, food!).

1 Comments:

At 10:55 pm, Blogger Niall said...

Interesting comment though one probably more applicable to my earlier posts. Certainly the plan and the plan is coming together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home