Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Another Perspective

Apparently I have not been alone in blogging the Antarctic. For another account of the trip see "Our Epic Journey aka 'I hate you'".

And now hot off the presses, another one from Adam and Vicki, Two Nomads.

I'll try to catch up with my travels on this blog soon, but for the moment let me just say I am now in Sydney. The plan had been Fiji and I had flown from Santiago, Chile, with that destination in mind. However, a transfer at Auckland was needed and while I whiled away my 10 hour (yes, 10 hour) wait a news report came up on tv. Martial law was to be imposed at midday and a coup seemed imminent. Now I am as adventurous as the next traveller, but without any real purpose it struck me as just being foolhardy to go on with that flight. The Irish Embassy's website advised no travel to Nadi, though when I tried to ring them (in Canberra) for clarification, there was no answer (well, to be fair Canberra was two hours behind and this was early morning). Anyhow the New Zealand staff in the airport were wonderful, really friendly, and it was refreshing to be conversing in English once more, so whiling away the hours to a Sydney flight at roughly the same time as the Fiji one wasn't too bad.

Getting accommodation in Sydney though has been a nightmare, but more on that later.

2 Comments:

At 5:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting Fiji stuff Niall. I have just read a letter from the Prime Minister to the Nation (http://www.fiji.gov.fj/publish/page_8036.shtml)
- it would seem that the whole thing has been resolved by Chuck Norris ( - see references to the divine intervention etc).Chuck does the couping around here and this one wasn't cleared with him. Chuck has made your trip to Fiji possible Niall. Phil

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Niall said...

Alas, Phil, were it so. Though the prime minister believed all had been resolved, and had made key concessions to the military commander, Commander Bainimarama felt differently (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6201174.stm). Seeing the guy on tv you just knew this guy is not going to agree to anything; he wants his coup ("Who's saying the deadline has been extended?" he asked. "Is he the commander? I am the commander." ) When someone like this git has a taste of power he ain't pulling back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home