Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Bangkok Night

On the way to Sydney for my connecting flight to Bangkok, I watched 'The Prestige' for the third time. It has some holes, I will grant you, but I do like that movie. The similarities to the old gothic standards like 'Confessions of a Justified Sinner', 'William Wilson' and 'Caleb Williams' are very satisfying.

The trip to Bangkok promised a lot more movies though, and ones I wanted to see, such as 'The Last King of Scotland', 'The Illusionist', and even 'Borat', which seems to have become something of a cultural signpost. Unfortunately of all the seats on all the planes, the headset socket had to be faulty on mine. I just about got to see, 'The Last King of Scotland'. Forrest Whittaker deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Idi Amin, as his recent Golden Globe win shows, though I think it's more a supporting role (McEvoy is very good). The movie itself, though it's hard for me to judge given the problems I had, is well worth seeing, though probably not everything it thinks it is. After seeing it i had no more energy to watch anything else and slept.

The main stewardess had a truly annoying tanoy voice. She announced problems in such a way that she failed to inspire any confidence that she herself could do anything about them. We were delayed a little (a fault with the onboard phones)and arrived into Bangkok around 11.30. By the time I found out the shuttle bus was gone, it was 12.30. I got a taxi.

Beginning a trend for Bangkok, the taxidriver did not know my ultimate destination and once nearby had to ask someone for directions. The location of the hotel looked very dodgy (down a dark, vegetable strewn alley), but the hotel itself was lovely. I had a huge room on the ninth floor with wide windows overlooking the city. I wasted little time in getting to bed.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 am, Anonymous Bangkok Hotels, Thailand said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's very informative. I love to read it and do hope to read your next story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home