Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Xi'an

Have to run as we are going shopping and eating in Xi'an's Muslim Quarter, but it has been a fabulous town.

I had to do some laundry in a local hostel yesterday, so I ended up bringing one of the trainee leaders, Rachael up to see it, and to have a drink, last night. Very pleasant chat. Ireland and indeed all of the European countries seem to be lumped together in the Chinese consciousness. It is a little heartbreaking to hear how she would like to travel, but cannot do so, at least not easily.

Collecting my laundry today I found the whole restaurant and bar removed, apparently for renovations.

We went to see the Terracotta Warriors this morning. 2,200 years old! Wow!

This afternoon we cycled around Xi'an's city walls. Despite a polluted haze, the heat was lovely and the experience very pleasant. It brought me back to my childhood summers when I'd speed down the road on my bike to keep cool.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any cocktail bars where you drank all night and danced with scantily clad locals???

 
At 3:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you couldn't ride a bike - or ist that Brian Murphy? Phil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home