Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Long Road Home

Long day at work trying to develop someone else's PHP scripts. They didn't do a bad job, they just weren't aware of well, a better way. If the university had forked out the money to keep them on, I wouldn't be wasting my time like this. Instead I've been chasing my tail all day trying to figure out and rewrite their work.
I'm tired and hungry but 'Copying Beethoven' finishes today at Cineworld, so I had to make the last screening if I was to see it on the big screen. I asked warily if it was 'assigned seating', but there was a snowball's chance in Hell of that, thankfully. Besides the fact that the reviews haven't been great, it's not exactly a date movie, or, let's face it, of much interest to any but those with a taste for classical music. The cinema was empty when I arrived and now with ten minutes to go, not much better.
Started 'The Road' last night. Great writing, of course, but the jury is very much out at the moment on the story. Post-apocalyptic stories are ten a penny. McCarthy's story bears more than a superficial resemblance to a novel by my creative writing teacher, Sheila Barrett, a book called 'Walk in a Lost Landscape'. Then there's 'A Dog and His Boy' by Harlan Ellison, or 'Damnation Alley' by Zelazny. Anyway later.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niall:

I discriminate between SF "hacks" and SF authors. I do like a lot of SF, especially folks like Stross, Tony Daniel, Peter Watts, Barnes, Vinge, Morgan and, of course P.K. Dick...but I do think few of them can hold a candle, talent-wise, to their literary cousins. Part of the problem may be editing (you don't get too many intelligent, aesthetically sharp editors in genre fiction and I speak with some knowledge and experience after 20+ years of trying to deal with the bastards) and part of it non- discriminating fans and part of it due to the fact that a number of SF writers are scientists first and writers in their spare time. I've loved the genre all my life but I'm quick to recognize and acknowledge its shortcomings. Others aren't nearly as choosy...and that's their right...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home