Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Getting into Filmhouse Screen 1 for "Scarecrow" was a challenge. Although nearly first in, choosing your seat is a very delicate matter, particularly when the slope of the seats is not steep enough (as here) to prevent heads getting in the way. I am very particular about my seat, middle middle and no tall people in front of me. So tragedy threatened when a big guy appeared at the end of the row in front. He made his way down and sat, thankfully, in the seat to the right side of the one in front of me. This was very good as few people will sit deliberately right next to another if they can help it. Sure enough two short guys appeared in that row too and sat a space away from him, to my left. The seat in front was empty and short guys inhabited one side; as good as I could have hoped for. Unfortunately because the film was sold out everyone was asked to budge up. Would I get tall (disaster!) or short (damage limitation)? My stars were shining and the little guy kept my view reasonable. Luckily.

For all the build up, "Scarecrow" really didn't disappoint. An authentic neglected masterpiece and Pacino's "Midnight Cowboy". It should be said though that this is very much a buddy movie, and Hackman is every bit as good. My one reservation is actually with the cinematography although that may have been just the print (a little washed out). There again though the opening shot is stunning and the shots on the road are beautiful. Why it hasn't been resurrected before now is a complete mystery. Easily as good as most of the more well known classics of the seventies.

The big word with the festival is "ticket". If you don't have one, you're out. A lot of what I want to see tomorrow is booked out, such as the Irish "Dr Ledbetter's Experiment" in the Medical Faculty, recommended mostly for the venue. In the case of such events, you just have to turn up at the venue on the night or earlier and try. That brought me to the Assembly Rooms enquiring about a play tomorrow. While at the box office I saw a notice up for "Best of the Fest" hosted by Ed Byrne at midnight. Surprisingly there were some tickets left so I gave it a shot.

Next up though was the Australian comedian, Wil Anderson. He was voted best newcomer last year, but is apparently well established and regarded in Oz. I got there early and got a nod from him as he came out of the venue. He was more than willing to engage with his audience and when the act before him ran over, he came out to entertain the queue. He seems like a genuinely nice bloke. He's definitely talented, and next to David Kay, the show was the funniest single act I've seen yet. And the night wasn't over.

I went back to the Assembly Rooms and joined the queue which was already long half an hour before the show. Again I was near the front and got a seat right in front of the mike, in the second row. I only realised the stupidity of my choice after there was no hope of an alternative. Luckily the front row took most of the flack.

Ed Byrne was very professional and funny. The other four acts varied, Adam Hills, yet another Aussie, being probably the best. Hills was very well up on Ireland, particularly the child rape law fiasco and we came out a little badly. Still in that case we deserve it.

The Swedish Chef, making chocolate "moose"Causing tensions!Here's one for the Book of Coincidences; both Aussies brought up the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show. Spooky! Well, both being Australian, one or the other probably went to the other's show and got a good idea on the other's theme. They had different spins, Anderson wanted the world to wage war on Sweden, Hills was disappointed the Swedish national anthem wasn't the Hurdy Gurdy song.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home