Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Scaredy Cats and Lost Dogs

Oh, the pain! I fell prey the other day to an ingrown toenail and with my customary aplomb chose to tackle it myself. Unfortunately despite taking out a sizeable chunk of nail, a splinter was left to grow, the toe became infected, the pain grew worse, my cutting grew deeper, the infection swelled and today my first ever visit to a chiropodist was required.

It was only as I walked to the surgery that I realised the 'good socks' I'd chosen to wear had a broken elastic and were falling down around my toes. Not a good impression to make on someone checking your feet.

My first impressions of the chiropodist, however, were not too good either. "Surgery" was a house with Halloween decorations and no doorbell. Frantic knocking brought no response and I had just gotten on the phone to cancel the appointment when the chiropodist drew up in her car. She didn't inspire too much confidence either, nor did walking through a kitchen to a makeshift surgery. Still I was there, so I just had to grit my teeth and bear it. As it transpired I had a lot of gritting of teeth and bearing it to do; it was very, very painful. Yes, there was blood! What the dentist is to most people, the chiropodist has just become for me. In the end though my toe was dressed and I was able to hobble out. I forgot my first impressions with the hope of a good night's sleep tonight. It still hurts though.

I then met up with an old college friend of mine, Claire, and her two young sons. You know age has caught up with you when everybody you know has young children. Given the happy meal spirit of the occasion, I joined them in a MacDonald's, like the Coke of the other night, something I normally resist for a multitude of good reasons. And like the Coke of the other night, it should be my last experience of such 'food' for quite a while. Young children food obviously. Still the company was good and afterwards I joined the hunt for a "Dog" costume for little Daniel. Yes, "Cat" costumes are ten a penny, but not so "Dog" costumes. Even the Scooby costume we eventually discovered only came in too large a size. I don't envy you figuring this one out, Claire.

And what of my plans for further travel? Never fear I have been working on this and will hopefully be able to unveil something very soon. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home