Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Santiago, but more to go

After 24 hours of travelling I have finally made it to Santiago.

Luckily there was little in the way of movies on the flight from London to Buenos Aires. I started watching "Monster House" and then asked myself why. I actually got some sort of sleep instead. Bunched as I was in the middle of the middle row that was some accomplishment.

Buenos Aires to Santiago was only a three hour flight I think. I dozed again. Again being in a middle seat I only got a glimpse of the Andes as we flew in. The girl beside me wanted to sleep and closed the blind.

Getting a bus was problematic as the driver etc. spoke nary a word of English. I really felt bad not having a word of Spanish. Luckily a couple walking by were able to help.

All I remember of the bus ride in was game after game of soccer. I suppose it's Sunday so everyone is out playing. Every match was on a dirt pitch, the only grass covered pitches being too valuable to be played on and some of them were being watered.

Off the bus I had a relatively short, but backbreaking walk to the hotel with my new monster, a backpack surely over the allowed 20 kg. Passing Government buildings and armed soldiers, I made it. The hotel is lovely and after I have something to eat I plan to have an early night, if only because I have a flight at 9 tomorrow morning.

1 Comments:

At 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a fantastic time Niall! I'm so envious of you - enjoy every minute :) alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home