Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Monday, October 08, 2007

A Sad Loss: Irish Actor, Tom Murphy, Dies

I only learnt today of the sad passing of Irish actor, Tom Murphy, on Saturday. In his mid-thirties, he had already featured in many Irish films ('Man About Dog', 'Intermission', etc.), and was a stalwart of the Irish stage. In 1998 he won a Tony for his performance on Broadway in 'The Beauty Queen of Leenane'. I was fortunate enough to see him onstage in 'Everyday', a play by the Corn Exchange Theatre Company, but for me he will always be immortal for his role as Paul in the brilliant, 'Adam and Paul'. Perhaps the best Irish movie ever made, he was alternately hilarious and heartbreaking. A real loss to Irish stage and screen.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:19 pm, Blogger ian said...

Wow... I was acquainted with him in college, and unlike most people I knew then who have proved successful in life, I never begrudged it of him. Sad days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home