Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Friday, January 08, 2010

No Business like Snow Business

Yesterday, encouraged by the sterling refusal of Dublin Bus to provide a service, I walked home from work. It took such discipline walking on the slippery paths that whenever I saw some untrodden snow on a grass verge, I had to run wildly. With my backpack on my back and music playing, it brought me right back to walks up New Zealand hills or getting stuck in that little glacier behind Ushuaia. I had forgotten my phone ear plugs, so I was listening to music through huge Sony headphones under my ill-fitting wool cap. I know I looked ridiculous, especially with a broad, idiotic smile on my face, but I really was having fun. Passing the Porterhouse I did think momentarily of going in for food, drink and warmth, but then thought the better of that bad idea and pushed madly on. Within the hour I was coming into the City Centre, Radiohead's 'Weird Fishes' playing while night was falling. I was still giddy - swinging around lampposts and the like - and just primed for that inevitable fall. Then 'Werewolves of London' came on and I just knew that big slip up was on the way. Strangely it never happened. I got home safe, sound and crazily happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home