Bopping with Niall JP O'Leary

Niall O'Leary insists on sharing his hare-brained notions and hysterical emotions. Personal obsessions with cinema, literature, food and alcohol feature regularly.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Hold Your Popcorn!

I had always believed the phrase "It will make you puke" as applied to a movie was figurative. Tonight, however, in viewing 'The Holiday', I realise this expression should be taken quite literally. I can't remember when I have ever seen such a sickening gooey mess of cliches as that flick. Naturally it is targeted, very, very cynically at women, a true 'chick flick' and at each of the girls (who wanted to see this trash) cried at the sight of a mugging Jude Law mugging his way through the sensitive, crying widow role. I like a good romantic movie as much as the next filmgoer (witness the other Kate Winslett flick, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", a real romantic movie), and can cry with the best of them, but this badly directed (particularly with regard to the actors who are let get away with pantomimic performances) chocolate box is so calculated to appeal to its female audience as to be supremely nauseating. If I had of only had an aisle seat. As it was I struggled to hold down my popcorn.

Earlier today, Manon, Elodie and I got the cablecar to the Botanic Gardens and had a really pleasant walk. Ironically given the girls' tears tonight, I think it was left to me to really enjoy the Lady Knox Rose Garden.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Niall, ya crazy balloonatic! Go easy on those foreign types.


Tony, The Red Dragon

 
At 8:20 am, Blogger Niall said...

The Red Dragon!!!!!!! I can't believe it. Hope things are wild and wonderful with you these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home